How to maintain older persons' well-being during confinement - ALIM 50+ advice
ALIM 50+, AGE member organisation in France, provides 8 tips to keep older persons in good physical and moral health during a period of confinement.
1. Getting someone to do your shopping
Don't hesitate to ask your neighbours to go shopping so as not to expose yourself unnecessarily: some neighbours don't necessarily dare to propose but would nevertheless do so willingly, it's an opportunity to get to know each other!
2. Maintaining the social link
Thanks to technological tools: telephone, Visio call by WhatsApp, ... but also through online yoga and meditation classes, now accessible on the internet. Calling regularly one or two people isolated from their neighbourhood. Call the nearest residential home and ask if a resident would like to receive calls.
3. Take a pleasure break
Don't hesitate to take a 100% pleasure break with a food/drink that you particularly like (a square of good chocolate, a piece of tasty cheese, a glass of good wine...): to be enjoyed quietly in a warm, well-established place, with good food, just to fill up on positive sensations: it will help keep spirits up
4. Eating to keep your muscles in shape
Continue to provide the proteins necessary for a good daily diet (at least one meal with meat, fish, another meal with egg, legumes) without forgetting a dairy product at each meal,
Animal proteins AND vegetable proteins (pulses, whole grains, nuts) at every meal.
5. Fill up on vitamins and minerals
Dry fruit breaks (apricots, almonds, nuts...) for their fibre, fatty acids, minerals and vitamins,
If possible, also keep your fruit and vegetables FRESH.
6. Stay hydrated to maintain immunity
Even with less effort, the body needs water especially with the hot season coming up. Drink at least 1.5 litres of water/day and vary the pleasures: water yes, but also tea, herbal tea, flavoured water, soda water, soup, fresh fruit juice, etc.
Here are three tasty and hydrating recipes that you can try:
- Pour into a cup of hot water, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 lemon (or lime) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon honey, 1/4 of another spice such as ginger or cinnamon. Mix well and consume.
- Pour in a cup the juice of 1 orange + 1 teaspoon of honey. Then fill the cup with boiling water, mix and consume.
- 2 level teaspoons of crushed cinnamon peel for 15 cl of cold water. Bring to a gentle boil, covered, turn off the heat. Infuse for 15 minutes. Filter and consume.
7. Three exercises to keep fit
Sitting in a chair, lift your feet on the spikes and repeat 10 times.
In the same position, extend one leg, raise and lower it, then do the same with the other leg and repeat 10 times.
Standing on a sofa, armchair or chair, stand on tiptoes and do 10 times (exercises to be done 5 times a day): this maintains the quadriceps to maintain walking.
...plus a little activity with music :
Take a few steps of "Madison" in your living room (or on your terrace or garden for the lucky ones)!
8. Synthesizing vitamin D
If we can, and as soon as we can, get out in the sun!