The German Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, AGE Platform Europe and BAGSO, the German National Association of Senior Citizens‘ Organisations invite you to their joint side event during the MIPAA Ministerial Conference 2022.
The adoption of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing (MIPAA) was an important milestone for ageing policy worldwide. Soon after, however, it was recognised that a nonbinding instrument does not sufficiently protect the human rights of older persons. Within this context, the General Assembly decided in Resolution 65/182 in December 2010 to establish an open-ended working group “for the purpose of strengthening the protection of the human rights of older persons (…)”. In parallel to the work of the Open-Ended Working Group, which met for the twelfth session in April 2022, other international processes also address the wellbeing and human rights of older persons.
How can these processes better build on each other? Which achievements can be celebrated so far? What are the biggest challenges at international level to advance the human rights in older age? How can older persons' participation be given more value and how can the understanding of the need to protect human rights of older persons be increased? These and other questions will be addressed in a panel discussion with high-ranking participants.
- Ms. Lisa Warth, Population Affairs Officer, Population Unit, UNECE
- Ms. Amal Abou Rafeh, Chief of the Programme on Ageing Section, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Ms. Lisa Paus, Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth of Germany
- Mr. Marcel Spatari, Minister of Labor and Social Protection of the Republic of Moldova
- Ms. Laura Baldassarre, Secretary General of the Italian Ministerial Committee for Human Rights at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- Mr. Maciej Kucharczyk, Secretary General, AGE Platform Europe
- Mr. Kiran Rabheru, Chair of the Steering Group of the Global Alliance for the Rights of Older People (GAROP)
- Ms. Ina Voelcker, Head of the Secretariat for International Policy on Ageing at BAGSO