> Theme: Malnutrition
> Timeline: April 2016 – July 2021
> Key Words: malnutrition, healthy ageing, recommendations
PROMISS stands for “PRevention Of Malnutrition In Senior Subjects in the EU”.
In Europe, 90-95% of older adults live at home. Among them, about 21% is malnourished or at risk of malnutrition. PROMISS therefore aims at conducting research on prevention of malnutrition among older persons living at home, thus providing concrete recommendations for an active and healthy life-style also in later years. To achieve this mission, a multi-disciplinary international consortium will pursue the following objectives, divided in two phases: the understanding of the context and, based on this, the development of solutions to prevent malnutrition.
Understanding relationships between food, physical activity, biological changes among older persons
Using large scale databases, the project will start by identifying the relationships between food intake, food characteristics, physical activity, the oral and gut microbiota, and poor appetite, malnutrition and poor health among older adults.
Developing dietary and physical activity strategies and new food concepts and products
Based on the outcomes of the research, PROMISS will develop optimized, sustainable and evidence-based dietary and physical activity strategies to prevent malnutrition and support active and healthy ageing.
With the help of SMEs and industry involved in the project, PROMISS will also design new food concepts, new food products and electronic support systems that fit within these newly developed dietary strategies. It will offer to food industry evidence-based knowledge to develop food products and concepts, and reformulate and/or re-market existing products to strengthen their global market position.
Outcomes: PROMISS recommendations
Based on the research conducted in the project, recommendations were developed to support older people to prevent protein malnutrition. You can find these recommendations in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Polish and Romanian on the PROMISS website.
They cover key issues related to preventing protein malnutrition:
- Why is protein important?
- How much protein do we need?
- How can you find out if you need more protein?
- How can you increase the amount of protein you eat?
- Sustainable protein
- Exercise and examples of training
The project has also developed recommendations for health professionals, dietitians, food industry and policy makers.
Coordinator: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), the Netherlands
- VU University Medical Center Amsterdam (VUmc), the Netherlands
- University of Iceland (UI), Iceland
- University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (UNEW), United Kingdom
- National Institute for public health and the environment (RIVM), the Netherlands
- Syddansk Universitet (SDU), Denmark
- Goteborgs Universitet (UGOT), Sweden
- Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), the Netherlands
- VIVES University College (VIVES), Belgium
- Ghent University (UGENT), Belgium
- HAS University of Applied Sciences (HAS), the Netherlands
- HAN University of Applied Sciences (HAN), the Netherlands
- Kellogg Management Services (KG), United Kingdom
- Laboratoires Grand Fontaine (LGF), Spain
- Blonk Consultants (BC), the Netherlands
- Frigilunch (FL), Belgium
- Henri (Hi), the Netherlands
- University of Helsinki (UH), Finland
- The European Federation of the Association of Dieticians (EFAD), the Netherlands
- European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN), Luxembourg
- European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS), Belgium
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen (FAU), Germany
- AGE Platform Europe (AGE), Belgium
- Université de Sherbrooke (US), Canada
AGE coordinates the dissemination efforts and will share the project's outcomes, in particular the recommendations, among older persons and policy-makers.
Get in touch with PROMISS!
- Website: http://www.promiss-vu.eu
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/promissproject/
- Twitter account: @PROMISS_VU
Contact person: Ilenia Gheno (email@example.com), Vera Hörmann (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Marine Luc (email@example.com)
Do you want to be kept informed and/or contribute to the project ? Please contact us!